Why Adventure and Experiential Education?
Adventure programming creates a risk-free environment that levels the playing field and allows for continued conversation regarding the shared experience. Adventure is an opportunity to realize governing principles such as values and ethics and practice core competencies in a safe environment. Challenges are experiential in nature and explore work systems, goal setting, feedback and learning. Experiential activities stimulate creative thinking and problem solving. They encourage risk taking to generate teachable moments. We offer programs that:
- Create opportunities for active learning, hands on experiences.
- Challenge participants on a mental, physical, and emotional level.
- Incorporate multiple intelligences within the framework of adventure programming.
- Offer activities that build real life metaphors.
- Establish an environment that will encourage risk taking to generate teachable moments.
- Dovetail with classroom curricula.
- Resource Management
- Problem Solving
- Personal Responsibility
- Positive School Climate
Activity rotations are designed to be age and skill level appropriate and to focus on the specific objectives of each group. Activities include:
- Team Building Games
- Low Ropes
- High Ropes
Graduated CurriculumMountain Workshop’s entire Experiential Education graduated curriculum is designed keeping in mind the age and ability of the students. Every program is customized based on the needs and desired results of the school.
• Year 1 – On-Campus Programming (New School Orientation)
• Year 2 – Local Program Location
• Year 3 – Over night Program (Peer Instructors Option)
After School Workshops/Outing Clubs:
The Mountain Workshop will create a 12-week adventure workshop that will introduce participants to the outdoors. Each workshop is designed to introduce outdoor and leadership skills and studies in a sequential format culminating with an overnight adventure that is planned by the students.
Custom Summer Camps:
The Mountain Workshop will create a private label adventure-based summer camp on your campus. The process is turnkey and includes trained and certified staff, equipment and curricula in the surrounding area near your school. As always, we will work together to choose the appropriate activities to support the needs of your students and families.